Tuesday, February 2, 2010

My mom's shoulder

My mom had surgery on her rotator cuff last Thursday, so I flew to Illinois to be with her for the first week. She is very right handed and the surgery was on her right shoulder. She has to keep her arm in this sling for 6 weeks and is not allowed to move it at all for at least two weeks. Mom is a mover and so this is driving her a little crazy. These pictures were taken the morning after her surgery. I wish I had taken some right after she got home. She is in a lot of pain, but doesn't complain much. We have learned not to let her pain meds wear off before we give her the next dose.
Normally she has a skinny little arm, but it's really swollen up here. This pictures doesn't do justice to the lovely bruise on her neck.
I espcially like the way they wrote her initials on her arm. It makes her look like she's in a gang or something with one of those homemade tattoos. Well, maybe it would take a bit more than that.
She's not wearing a stitch of make-up in this picture ( I'm amazed she let me take it), but I still think she looks great.

Three days after she had the surgery we changed the dressing. We thought there would be only three incisions from the orthoscopy but there were five. Helping her with this part didn't really gross me out, but it did sort of give me the willies. I don't like to think about other people being in pain.

We found another "tattoo" under her bandage. It is her surgeon's initials. I guess he's in the gang too.

I know these pictures aren't pretty, but she really is doing well I think.

8 comments:

  1. What a good daughter you are nursing your poor mommie. Surgery is never fun and it looks like it does hurt mucho. Send her our love from California.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like it hurts a lot! I can only wonder what life would be like without the use of one arm. Hope she gets better real soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grandma looks amazing still.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh mom, that does not look good. I am so glad you took pictures. She actually looks like she has some impressive biceps.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow Aunty Sondra, now I see where you get your natural beauty from because your mom is beautiful. That's so nice of you to visit and help out with your mom, and I hope you enjoy your stay in Illinois. Tell your mother to watch out for the "po-po" because they always look for obvious gang signs:-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Take a picture of her in one of her velour track suits, that's what I want to see!

    ReplyDelete
  7. uh, is grandma too drugged to know you are posting these picutres on your blog? dont get me wrong, she looks great, but this is against her nature.

    ReplyDelete
  8. she always looks good! it doesn't sound fun though! i think that is weird the surgeon put his initials. i have heard of them writing on the right arm to do surgery on but not making your mark when you are done!

    ReplyDelete